Friday, December 4, 2009

Best of the 00's: X & Y

Maybe you get what you wanted, Maybe you stumbled upon it... (Coldplay - White Shadows)

Coldplay was another band that caught me by suprise. I first heard Coldplay on the Garden State soundtrack and the song Don't Panic. I love that song. Then in 2005 I started hearing songs from X&Y. Yes they did have a sort of U2 thing going on, but it was still a fresh and exciting sound. I've always liked English bands and English music, so I invested in X&Y and discovered a band that writes excellent songs with great instruments and emotional lyrics and singing.


One of the best songs on X&Y is White Shadows; "When I was a young boy I tried to listen and I wanna feel like that, Little white shadows - blink and miss them, Part of a system I am".

Fix You is a great ballad that really comes alive towards the end, "Tears stream down your face when you lose something you cannot replace, Tears stream down your face and I... Will fix You"

Speed of Sound is another great rocker; "Look up, I look up at night, planets are moving at the speed of light, climb up, up in the trees every chance that you get is a chance you seize"


Talk is another solid rocker; "Oh brother I can't, I can't get through, I've been trying hard to reach you 'cause I don't know what to do, Oh brother I can't believe it's true, I'm so scared about the future and I wanna talk to you";


X&Y is excellent throughout and one of the best of the 00's.

No comments:

Post a Comment