Sunday, December 6, 2009

Best of the 00's: Down With Wilco

They call me DJ Mini-Mart cause that's where I work... (Minus 5 - Retrieval of You)

My favorite artist of this 00's has been Wilco; along with recording their own exciting music Jeff Tweedy and company occasionally step out and play with other artists. That was the case when Wilco recorded with the Minus 5, Scott McCaughey's project band that features R.E.M.'s super guitarist Peter Buck and Ken Stringfellow of the Posies. The result of their recording sessions was the fantastic Down With Wilco.




Highlights from the cd are plenty, starting with Retrieval of You, the story of a failed music star and the famous girl that he lost - "Everybody knows I fell afoul of fame and you're to blame that I'm what's his name"; the beautiful pop sound of Where Will You Go; the haunting View From Below in which the husband slithers along the floor describing his wife's affair from below; the R.E.M.esque I'm Not Bitter; the fabulous Dear Employer (The Reason I Quit) whose lyrics are a notice to his boss that he is moving on - "Dear employer, I'd like to tell you it's been wonderful, for all these years, but now you know, I've got a new shoe and I'll be wearing it so far from here"; The Town That Lost It's Groove Supply is another winner;




Family Gardner is the lone Jeff Tweey vocal and the highlight of the cd.


I was down with Wilco alot in the 00's.

No comments:

Post a Comment