Monday, December 28, 2009

Best of the 00's: Sky Blue Sky

I try to stay busy I do the dishes, I mow the lawn; I try to keep myself occupied even though I know you’re not coming home... (Wilco - Hate It Here)

Wilco had a new line up for 2007's Sky Blue Sky. New band but same results: a terrific new cd. The new configuration featured guitar wiz Nels Cline, multi-insturmentalist Pat Sonsone, keyboardist Mikael Jorgenson, drummer (and fellow University of Kentucky alum) Glen Kotche and the heart of the band, lead singer/guitarist Jeff Tweedy and bassist John Stirratt. Sky Blue Sky was a bit more mellower, but this was very much the Wilco guitar album.

Case in point and the top evidence Impossible Germany. Wilco somehow balances this song with a 3 guitar attack.

The title track, Sky Blue Sky, paints a depressing picture of the singers home town: "The drunks were ricocheting; The old buildings downtown empty so long ago, windows broken and dreaming; So happy to leave what was my home"

One of the best tracks is the Big Star influenced Hate It Here: "I try to stay busy, I do the dishes, I mow the lawn; I try to keep myself occupied even though I know you’re not coming home"


Sky Blue Sky was on the top of my playlist all summer in 2007 and one of the best of the 00's.

No comments:

Post a Comment