Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 Music Lists

I always look forward to reading other peoples end-of-year best-of lists almost as much as I enjoy putting my own list together. Having read lots of lists over the years I have never seen two exactly the same. That's part of the lure of the lists; I discover a lot of new artists/music from people that have similar tastes as mine. Many of the lists that I have seen this year include new releases by Fleet Foxes and Vampire Weekend. I've only heard the Fleet Foxes with Wilco on their live version of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released", but I am looking forward to checking out both of these new bands in the coming year.

I listen to as much music as I have time for and can reasonably afford. This past year much of my listening pleasure was spent on My Morning Jacket's Evil Urges and The Raconteurs' Consolers of the Lonely. Evil Urges was the years musical suprise; MMJ took a leap of faith into unexpected territory that included r&b, funk, disco and soft rock. The Raconteurs came roaring back with Consolers of the Lonely which was a little more edgier than their great 2006 release Broken Boy Soldier.


[The Raconteurs - Rich Kid Blues (Live Glastonbury)]



[My Morning Jacket - I'm Amazed (Video)]

Other great music releases of 2008 include: The Hold Steady continue to gain momentum with Stay Positive; Coldplay delivered yet another solid group of songs with Viva La Vida; Mudcrutch, Tom Petty's early band reunited for their overdue debut; and the Old 97's released Blame It On Gravity, another cd filled with their Texas brand of hook filled rock.


[Coldplay - Viva La Vida (ITunes Ad)]


My Top 5 CDs of 2008
5. Mudcrutch - Mudcrutch
4. Coldplay - Viva La Vida
3. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
2.The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely
1. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

My Top 10 Songs of 2008
10. Mudcrutch - Topanga Cowgirl
9. My Morning Jacket - Touch Me I'm Going To Scream part 1
8. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
7. The Raconteurs - The Switch and The Spur
6. Radiohead - Bodysnatchers
5. Lucinda Williams - Real Love
4. My Morning Jacket - The Librarian
3. The Hold Steady - Slapped Actress
2. My Morning Jacket - I'm Amazed
1. The Raconteurs - Rich Kid Blues



As we enter into 2009 I am excited about new upcoming releases: Bruce Springsteen (Working On a Dream): U2 (No Line On The Horizon); Wilco (no title yet); Neil Young (The Archives Vol 1 1963-1972); and maybe The White Stripes. However, I am guarded about the world's news in these uncertain times. As I ponder the new year a line from one of last years songs comes to mind...we got to Stay Positive...

No comments:

Post a Comment