Monday, November 23, 2009

Best of the 00's: Satelite Rides

I got a book of poems that's gonna set you free... (Old 97's - Book of Poems)



I discovered the Old 97's back during the early part of the 00's and maybe the hey-day of the Alternative Country, No Depression, Y'alternative, Americana or whatever you called it. This was a great period for music; this is when I first heard Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco, The Jayhawks, Whiskeytown, Ryan Adam, Alejandro Escovedo and others. Old 97's rank with the best of them; led by Rhett Miller's impassioned singing, Ken Bethea on lead guitar, Murry Hammond on bass and Philip Peebles on drums. My favorite of theirs is the 2001's rocking Satelite Rides.




The cd starts of with a bang in King of All of the World, a lively pure perfect rock song; "I was in a real bad way when you turned the power on and you made me feel for all the world like I was the king of all the world";


The cd rolls along with solid songs Rollerskate Skinny (from a line in The Catcher in the Rye), Buick City Complex and the nice ballad Question;

The cd is consistent all the way through and other highlights include the great What I Wouldn't Do, Can't Get a Line, the outstanding Nervous Guy and Book of Poems.



The Old 97's became one of my favorite bands in the 00's.

No comments:

Post a Comment