Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Roger, Wilko, Over and Out

Wait a minute baby, what you going to do?  You can call me crazy, but I want you... Wilco Johnson, Roger Daltrey - I Keep It To Myself

It is exciting to hear THE VOICE, Roger Daltrey rocking out once again.  This time, the legendery singer of The Who is paired with another renowned British rocker, Wilko Johnson of Dr. Feelgood fame.

Dr. Feelgood represented the early 70's pub rock movement, with a punk spirit that was severeral years ahead of it's time.  During the era when British art rock was in vogue, the Feelgoods played rough and tough R&B music befitting of early Rolling Stones or Chuck Berry.

In early 2013, Johnson was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.  He decided to spend his remaining days rocking out rather than fading away. Daltrey jumped at the chance to record the final record with Johnson and the album contains mostlsy gems from Dr. Feelgood’s past.

The story reminds you a bit of the making of Warren Zevon's final album The Wind.

For a guy who once sang "I hope I die before I get old", the 70 year old Daltrey sounds great to these ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment