Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The King is Dead

Had a dream you and me and the war of the end times... (The Decemberists - The Calamity Song)

I bought the new Decemberists cd The King is Dead based on hearing the fine song Down By the Water. After repeated listens I have to put the cd in my early list for best of 2011. The King is Dead is so solid with no weak spots and a lot of high points.

Down By the Water is sort of a cross between a Springsteen & R.E.M. song, musically along the lines of The One I Love; The Calamity Song reminds me of Murmer era R.E.M., a song about the end of the world (come to think of it didn't R.E.M. do a song about the end of the world...); Rox in the Box is a nice work-sing along song about a working in a granite mine; another high point is This Is Why We Fight; I highly recommend the King is Dead.


*******************************************************************

*******************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment