Friday, March 19, 2010

Alex Chilton

Lonely days are gone, I'm a-goin' home... (The Box Tops - The Letter)

I was saddened to hear that Alex Chilton had passed. He was taken to a hospital in New Orleans on March 17 and later that day died from an apparent heart attack. I was in college in the 80's and a friend introduced me to the music of Alex Chilton.

I found out that Alex was the voice behind the wonderful late 60's pop song The Letter by The Box Tops, the late 1960's band from Memphis, TN. The Box Tops played a sort of blue-eyed soul and had other hits with Cry Like a Baby and Soul Deep.



In the early 70's Alex was in the band Big Star who's importance isn't measured in their record sales, but in their influence on alternative music. Big Star played sort of a 70's power pop which influenced alot of the alternative/college music of the 80's.




The Replacements wrote a tribute song about him. "Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round. They sing "I'm in love. What's that song? I'm in love with that song."



The Replacements - Alex Chilton





The Bangles cover Big Star's September Gurls




Wilco covers Big Star's Thriteen (My favorite Big Star song)

Alex, you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment