Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mix Monday: The Who


Listening to you, I get the music; Gazing at you, I get the heat; Following you, I climb the mountains, I get excitement at your feet... (The Who - Listening To You)

Today's Mix Monday is a tribute to one of my favorites The Who. As you probably know by now and I've mentioned this on several different blogs, The Who are playing the halftime show of Super Bowl XLIV on February 7th. I've not read a playlist for the show or have heard any tips, but this is my prediction: (1) Baba O'Riley (great intro song); (2) Pinball Wizard (with maybe some lyric changes for football); (3) Who Are You (posslibly My Generation) ; (4) Won't Get Fooled Again (I think this one is a lock).


Today's Mix is more about the lesser know nuggets that this great band dropped throughout their career:

  • Join Together - As good as the early Who was I think they peaked between 197-1974 (or so). During this period they recorded Who's Next ('71) and Quadrophenia ('73) and some great singles and b-sides. Join Together from 1972 is one of those great singles.



  • The Seeker - This one is from 1970 and another nugget; "I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked The Beatles, I asked Timothy Leary, but he couldn't help me either"



  • Love Reign O'er Me - This powerhouse is from 1973's Quadrophenia, Pete Townshend's other great rock opera. Quadrophenia was the story of a teenage Mod trying to fit in.




  • Listening to You - This maybe my all time favorite song. It was the final song for 1969's rock opera Tommy. The song has taken on many forms; in concert Roger Daltrey became Tommy and this finale brought the house down; the song was played in their Woodstock set in 1969; this version is from the 1975 Tommy movie.



  • I Don't Even Know Myself - Recorded for Who's Next, but this little gem didn't make the cut; "Don't pretend that you know me 'cause I don't even know myself"


No comments:

Post a Comment