Sunday, June 21, 2009

1980’s: Back To Rockville

I know it might sound strange, but I believe you'll be coming back before too long…(Don’t Go Back To Rockville – R.E.M.)

I was in college in the 1983; a college friend had just returned home from Europe (Germany I think) and the first song he said he heard when he arrived back was Radio Free Europe by R.E.M. Soon after he loaned me his copy of Murmur and I played it over and over. I tried to understand the lyrics and to figure out exactly how many guitar players that I was hearing. The album sounded like something new.

At this time rock radio seemed a little stale. Very few new rock bands were being played on classic rock stations; pop music was dominated by MTV bands and then College radio began to emerge. For me this was a music revolution and the influence of R.E.M. and U2 could be heard throughout.

I began hearing band from the Paisley Underground; a term associated with young Californian bands that were influenced by the 60’s psychedelic and pop music; bands like The Three O’Clock, The Long Ryders, Rain Parade, The Bangles, The Dream Syndicate, 28th Day, The Chesterfield Kings and others. I began hearing Jangle Pop bands from out of the south; a 60's pop sound with chiming rock guitars with folk overtones; led by R.E.M. and bands like The dB's, Let's Active, Guadalcanal Diary, The Windbreakers, Love Tractor, Game Theory, The Reivers, and others. I began hearing country influenced bands like Lone Justice, Rank & File, Los Lobos, The Beat Farmers, Beat Rodeo, etc...

This was a great period in music. Too bad a lot of people didn't hear these bands.

10 Great Songs That You’ve Never Heard From 10 Great Bands That You’ve Never Heard Of

1. The dB’s – Amplifier
2. The Long Ryders – I Had a Dream
3. Rain Parade – This Can’t Be Today
4. The Three O’Clock – Simon in the Park
5. The Reivers – Things Don’t Change
6. Windbreakers – That Stupid Idea
7. Let’s Active – In Little Ways
8. Rave-Ups – Positively Lost Me
9. Lone Justice – Sweet, Sweet Baby (I’m Falling)
10. The Beat Farmers – Bigger Stones




REM - Sittin' Still



The Long Ryders - I Had a Dream


Lone Justice - Sweet Sweet Baby (I'm Falling)

No comments:

Post a Comment